Scarecrow Super Saver - Seasonal Organic Cos lettuce
Cos lettuce, also known as Romaine lettuce, has a mild, slightly bitter, and refreshing taste. Its flavor is generally less peppery and intense compared to other lettuce varieties like arugula or iceberg lettuce. The outer leaves tend to be more robust and have a slightly bitter taste, while the inner, lighter green leaves are milder and crisper. Many people enjoy its crisp texture and subtle flavor, making it a popular choice for salads, sandwiches, and wraps. Its neutral taste also pairs well with a variety of dressings and toppings, allowing you to create a wide range of flavor profiles in your dishes.
Cos lettuce, offers several benefits:
1. Nutrient-Rich: Cos lettuce is a good source of essential nutrients such as vitamins A and K, folate, and potassium. It also provides dietary fiber.
2. Low in Calories: It’s low in calories, making it a great option for those looking to manage their weight.
3. Heart Health: The potassium in cos lettuce can help regulate blood pressure, promoting heart health.
4. Antioxidants: It contains antioxidants like beta-carotene, which can protect cells from damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
5. Bone Health:
To keep cos lettuce (Romaine lettuce) fresh and crisp, follow these storage tips:
1. Refrigeration: Store cos lettuce in the refrigerator. It is best kept in the vegetable crisper drawer, which maintains higher humidity levels.
2. Moisture: To prevent wilting, you can wrap the cos lettuce in a damp paper towel or place it in a perforated plastic bag. This helps maintain moisture around the lettuce leaves without making them too wet.
3. Airtight Container: Alternatively, you can store cos lettuce in an airtight container. Ensure there’s enough space inside the container to prevent crushing or bruising of the leaves.
4. Avoid Exposure to Ethylene: Keep cos lettuce away from fruits and vegetables that produce ethylene gas, such as apples and tomatoes. Ethylene can accelerate the wilting process.
5. Wash Before Use: It’s best to wash and dry the lettuce just before using it, rather than washing it right after purchase. Excess moisture can promote spoilage.
6. Trim and Remove Outer Leaves: If you notice any damaged or wilted leaves, trim them off before storage to maintain the freshness of the remaining leaves.
By following these guidelines, you can extend the shelf life of cos lettuce and enjoy it at its best for longer periods.