What you will need:
- 1 1/4 cups (110g) rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups (110g) desiccated coconut
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour (or gf flour)
- 150g unsalted butter (or vegan alternate)
- 1/4 cup (90g) golden syrup
- 1 cup (220g) raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Combine the oats, coconut, flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Set aside. Place the butter, golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Bring to a simmer and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, cool slightly, then add the bicarb soda and 1 tbs water. Stir to combine, then pour over the oat mixture.
2. Using a wooden spoon, combine butter and oat mixture. Using 1 tbs mixture each, roll into 24 equal-sized balls. Divide between two baking paper-lined baking trays, leaving 3cm between each.