Bright Beet Salad with Carrot, Quinoa & Spinach
Get back on track after the festive season, with this healthy beet salad recipe featuring superfoods like detoxifying beetroot, carrot, quinoa, spinach and avocado.
This recipe makes two meal-sized salads or four side salads. If you plan on having leftovers, store the greens separately from the other prepared ingredients and toss just before serving and only add avocado just before serving also.
What you will need:
- ½ cup uncooked organic quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen organic edamame or organic beans or peas (whichever is in season at the time)
- ⅓ cup slivered organic almonds or pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- 1 medium raw organic beetroot, peeled
- 1 medium-to-large organic carrot, peeled
- 2 cups packed organic baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 organic avocado, cubed
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or SISUU Tonic
- 2 tablespoons organic lime juice
- 2 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or coriander
- 2 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup or agave nectar
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To cook the quinoa: First, rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh colander under running water for a minute or two. In a medium-sized pot, combine the rinsed quinoa and 1 cup water. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then cover the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the quinoa from heat and let it rest, still covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover the pot, drain off any excess water and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Set it aside to cool.
- Cook edamame following packet instructions and if using beans, steam them only for a few minutes, so they are still firm and crunchy, If using peas, boil them in water until tender.
- To toast the almonds or pepitas: In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds or pepitas, stirring frequently, until they are fragrant and starting to turn golden on the edges, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl to cool.
- To prepare the beet(s) and/or carrot: First of all, feel free to just chop them as finely as possible using a sharp chef’s knife OR grate them on a box grater. If you have a spiraliser, you can spiralise them using blade C, then chop the ribbons into small pieces using a sharp chef’s knife. If you have a mandoline, this can be used to julienne the beet and the carrot, then chop the ribbons into small pieces using a sharp chef’s knife.
- To prepare the vinaigrette dressing: Whisk together all of the ingredients until emulsified.
- To assemble the salad: In your large serving bowl, combine the toasted almonds/pepitas, cooked edamame/ beans or peas, prepared beet and carrot, roughly chopped spinach (see note above about leftovers), cubed avocado and cooked quinoa.
- Finally, drizzle dressing over the mixture (you might not need all of it) and gently toss to combine. You’ll end up with a pink salad if you toss it really well! Season to taste with salt (up to an additional ¼ teaspoon) and black pepper. Serve.
Adapted from cookieandkate.com recipe.
Leave a comment