These gooey fudge brownies are the perfect Autumn/ Easter treat. It is that time of year you can eat ridiculous amounts of chocolate without feeling guilty isn't it?... that's what some-bunny told us anyways...
What you will need:
- 2 cups white whole wheat (For a gluten free option use gluten free all purpose or gluten free oat flour)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup organic cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 flax egg or 1 real egg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground vanilla beans or extract
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 1 cup organic almond butter
- 1/2 organic dark chocolate bar (we used a 80% cacao bar. If you want a sweeter taste, use milk chocolate instead)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce unsweetened or DIY apple puree
- Whole organic almonds for decorating
- Preheat oven to 175 C.
- In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients.
- In a saucepan, on medium heat, combine the coconut oil, apple sauce, maple syrup, almond butter and chocolate.
- Stir until everything is well combined. Set aside.
- Line an 8X8 pan with a sheet of baking paper leaving enough room for some paper to come out the sides. This will make the brownies easy to remove.
- Add the heated mixture to the dry ingredients and stir only until combined.
- Lastly add the egg and milk and stir until everything is mixed well. Be careful not to over-mix or the brownies can come out tough.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. We kept ours slightly gooey and they worked out great that way. (The first time we overcooked them and they were so dry.)
- Once the brownies are cooled slightly, pull them out by grabbing the baking paper.
- Cut into squares and decorate with almonds to make cute little flowers on top (as pictured). The brownie should still be gooey enough to press the almonds down into so they stay in place.