Try this fresh, tasty and cleansing salad to help support your liver function!
Raw Sweet Beetroot Salad
What you will need:
● 2 raw medium sized beetroots
● 3 carrots
● 1 apple of your choice (peeled)
● 4 spring onions
● 1⁄4 bunch of parsley
● 100mls extra virgin olive oil
● 1 tbsp wholegrain or dijon mustard
● 2 tbsp lemon juice (or approx. half a lemon)
● 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
● 100g of baby spinach (chopped)
● Salt to season
- Wash and prepare the vegetables. Peel carrots and beetroots if you wish, however I simply scrubbed clean and chopped off any unfavourable parts. (Tip - you may want to wear gloves to protect your hands from beetroot juice!)
- Finely chop the parsley, spring onions and spinach
- Using either a food processor with the thick shredding setting, or a hang grater, begin grating the carrots and beetroot. (Tip - using a food processor or even a thermomix keeps things clean and makes things quicker)
- Drain out any beetroot juice and place the shredded carrot and shredded beetroot in a mixing bowl
- Add chopped spring onions and parsley. Begin mixing gently with two wooden spoons
- Begin adding liquid ingredients, including the olive oil, mustard, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice
- Add salt to taste - then serve!
*If you are making this salad in advance, make sure you dress the salad when serving to save it from going soggy.
*Make sure to use organic apple cider vinegar with the ‘mother’. The mother is an unfiltered substance that consists of strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria that give the product a murky appearance. Also great for
digestion and supports the liver!